Debswana endeavours to remain a world-class diamond mining company, committed to developing the value of Botswana's natural resources for the benefit of the nation and its shareholders. The Jwaneng Cut 9 Project is an expansion project which will extend the life of the mine to 2035 with 80% plant ore feed expected from 2029.
Following a successful start to mining operations in Jwaneng Cut 9, the Project Team is focused on safely implementing and delivering a series of infrastructure packages that will support and de-risk Cut 9 operations for their life. The packages are well advanced and when complete will also provide risk mitigation to the Post-Cut 9 operations that are currently being studied.
Infrastructure implementation scope included:
- 8.8 kilometre long storm water channel along western waste dumps
- 9.8 megalitre additional lined water storage dams with the storm water channels
- Environmentally friendly machine assembly pad
- Pit dewatering boreholes and piezometers; Relocation required by changing the pit crest line
- In pit ring main 33 kilovolt (Cut 9 Side) electrical; Deeper Pit with Cut 9 mining
- Survey and geotechnical reference network; Relocate & change pit crest line